Tuesday 8 February 2011

Portholes and Photoshop

So the meeting with my tutor went really well, he pointed out a lot of problems that I had but didn't reacognise and my character is already looking better. Even better than that though is that he urged me to use my graphics tablet more. So yesterday I pulled it out of my draw and started doing some sketches. I haven't tried to use it since my art improved a lot recently and I'm so glad I did. It took me a while to get used to it but once I did I didn't stop. I've spent a lot of today sketching and I just spent the last few hours creating a texture for some texturing practice totally separate from my uni project. I think I had to get away from it for a day to not go crazy.

Anyway, here is one of the sketches I did, it's not too great but I'm only just getting the hang of drawing on a tablet again so bear with me:



But the thing I'm most happy with is a low-poly model of a ships port hole textured with an image I created on my tablet in Photoshop. I'm really happy with how nice it looks despite it having relatively few polygons. Here are a couple of renders I did with some pretty basic lighting etc. Oh and even though it was a totaly coincidence, these portholes were made on the 182nd birthday of "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" author Jules Verne. So happy birthday!


And another...


Hope you like them :) Click for a bigger version (I normally upload all renders in full HD but it's a bit big for blogger).

A bit of a short blog post but I'll get round to a much better one soon.

2 comments:

  1. Those portholes are amazing!
    You are so talented, keep up the posts, I have followed.
    Is this all part of an animation you are working on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much :) Glad you think they're good! This wasn't part of an animation, although I think I might slowly build up, modelling and texturing a pirate ship or something, maybe some docks would be fun to do. I just wanted to do something that wasn't uni work lol But yeah, thanks for saying i'm talented! I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete