Monday 3 September 2012

Strangers on a Train

So it's been a while.. But I'm just gonna ignore that and great straight back into the swing of things. First of all; I'm a graduate! I recently finished university and got a First Class Masters Degree in animation. This is great news obviously but I'm not under any allusions; this is the time that I really have to push myself. I have a way to go before I can go up against those people applying for the jobs I want and seeing as I've never had a gap in my education, I'm currently working part time at Sky TV and spending the rest of my time working on my portfolio; VFX, animation, drawing, modelling and anything I can to find what I'm best at. Lately though I've made huge improvements in my drawing skills. I tend to have these big jumps when I take a lot of time to practice. This has been helped by the fact that I've been commuting to work in Sheffield from my parents' house (where I'm staying until I get a job confirmed in London) and the train journeys give me a lot of free time away (mostly) from the internet. Rather than sitting there bored and listening to music I've decided to spend most of my time drawing the people around me. It's great. There aren't any life drawing classes that are easily accessible so it's my free replacement of that and honestly, since I started the regular practice I've become so much better. I think the fact that I've also been reading up on anatomy, especially facial structure has really helped and I'm not making up characters that look much more unique and distinct. I thought I'd show you guys some of my latest drawings and see what you think. I'm gonna try to update from now on each day after I've drawn them so I can keep a record of how my skills are improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment