Wednesday 7 September 2011

An odd request (well a few)

Recently I've been dedicating a lot more time to drawing. It's my passion above all else so why not practice a little more. I tend to get random bursts if improvement in my drawing skills, although they generally come about when I actually sit down and draw a lot so maybe they're not so random. While sitting, bored at my summer job (which I have now finished forever!) I decided I'd ask some people for some requests. Crazy drawings that I could try to create and I definitely got my wish.

First of all came a request from my friend/a talented hotography student who wanted me to draw "a dinosaur in a top hat serving tea and cake to an owl in a waistcoat and a lion in a bowtie". This was not the best drawing of the lot but I was laughing while I drew it so I'll upload it anyway:



Next was a fairly specific request by flatmate/fellow Tweeter/blogger/animator Basil Baradaran (theinflamedtime.blogspot.com). And I quote, "A skydiving giraffe with Zach Galifianakis riding atop it like Major Kong riding the bomb in Dr Strangelove"
Now this was a fun one to draw. I had never drawn a giraffe OR Zach Galifianakis before so it would be a challenge. I roughed out a drawing of how it would look first and did a more detailed version afterwards:



And as I was uploading these to Twitter I started to get more and more requests. The next was by my University tutor Mel (www.melmation.com) "Doc and Marty smashing through the marshmallow man in the DeLorean while it's fighting with a dinosaur a-la King Kong". Now everyone loves a bit of 80's inspired Kaiju mayhem so I set to work and I think this was the most fun to be honest. Reminded me of old Power Rangers episodes so I used the set up of those big monster battles as inspiration:



Then we have a lovely request from a 3D artist Dave (@dave_A_davidson - http://renderpimp.com/wp/). Now I'm trying to remember this tweet because it was somehow deleted from Tweetlonger "A rabbit fishing at a lake with a few dragonflies, frogs and other things not made too cheesy. Some mushrooms and trees etc." It sounded like a nice drawing so I decided to really go for realism on this one and try out making a realistic composition:



Then finally, an actor/writer from Twitter (again) asked if I could draw a picture for some inspiration for a screenplay he is writing. A story about a guy who sees himself as a superhero (can't give details). He wanted an image of himself drawn heroically with ripped muscles etc. I found it quite a strange and funny one to draw. The proportion is slightly off but it's not too bad. Anyway, here it is. I'd appreicate any comments/criticisms you can give me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment