Friday 1 July 2011

Bargain buys and a clear out

Today I decided to do something a bit different and headed into town first thing to spend the day looking around the charity shops/second hand market stalls for some inspiration on my project for next year. I had to find anything that was from the fifties and didn't want to spend a lot (I spent quite a lot anyway. I finally ended up at a tiny stall with a woman who sells traditional sweets and random antiques. Odd combination but it looked quite nice really. She told me she had some old magazines from the fifties, which are just brilliant. They're full of ads doe the weirdest things, the best being the front cover which says "Build your own refridgerator!" It's the most ridiculous thing I've seen in ages but great for some real insight into how people thought back then, particularly in advertising. She also took from a table a few items she was selling for much cheaper and said I could have them! They are all different and I'll start modelling them as props for my Gypsy Shop pretty soon.




That was the good find for the day concerning my project but the real find was something much more awesome. Batmobiles! And a Batcycle. I was walking through the market and I saw a stall with a single Batcycle between all of the trains (which I find rather boring) and as I went to ask how much it was, the guy started to pack it away. He didn't have room for it and I don't think a bunch of toy train fanatics thought much of bat vehicles so he offered me it for £10 down from the £20 marked price. Bargain. I had to get it. But no more spending..


Until I turned the corner and saw a totally different guy selling five of the Batmobiles that go in the same set. Half the size but just as awesome. So I had to buy them. Thankfully, my parents offered to give me the money for them as a reward for getting a first in my third year of uni so they're a gift now. And here they are:




After I got home I decided that, as I had nowhere to put the figurines I had to completely reorganise my shelves and room and throw away some stuff, mainly old games magazines. I managed to completely clear my desk too so now I have room to draw, write and use my wacom finally with both my laptop and my PC set up. The (almost) perfect workspace.


Oh! And I found a 1979 Spiderman Annual in really good condition for £2, which is pretty awesome and I really need to upload a picture of the first page that features the members of the Avengers among others all playing instruments. It's brilliant but you'll have to wait till my next blog (should be tomorrow) to check it out.

So now my life and room are sorted out I get to start the mind-numbing monotony of working at a theme park for the rest of the summer. I'm seriously already counting down the days. I'd be absolutely fine working there but I can't stand just standing around doing nothing so I work way too hard most of the time. Plus people there are kind of cliquey and I don't really fit into all of that. But hey, I need the money and although it's full time hours and the breaks are terrible I have to pay off my overdraft somehow..

Enough of my boring summer job, I'm going to read a book and get to bed for a really early start.

Wow that was a lot of pictures. Maybe I was a little excited how much cool stuff I got today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment